Notice

Please note that all content (photographs and text) are copyright of the author.

Saturday 4 June 2016

Resuming posts and updating lexicons and glossaries

Well now that exams are over. I will be trying to fit in some time to do some work on "Flora and Fauna - Plants and Critters." This will include:
  • Completing some of the posts I had been working on but put on hold. This includes:
    • Doing the research for the write up on a plant (or fungus, animal, virus, bacteria) or issue
    • Choosing the photos or taking the necessary photos, cropping/resizing the photos and uploading them
    • Verifying any information I use such as botanical, phytochemical and ethnobotanical information as well as medicinal uses both scientifically proven and otherwise. This includes providing sources / reference and hyperlinks where possible.
    • Adding all the captions to all the photos
    • Looking up, verifying and adding the scientific / binomial names and common /vernacular names in English and other languages (where I am able to find them)
    • Including all the relevant tags 
    • Add relevant internal links either to other posts within the blog or to my other blogs where I have covered a plant or topic from a different perspective. For example I have a couple cross posts in The Blood of Souls where I discuss some translation issues regarding the cicada and its song. I also have an almost completed post speculating on the etymology of a plants name which I think is particularly interesting that will be tied to a post on the plant itself which still needs a lot of work and verifying of information since it includes medical and phytochemical information which I want to check in detail as well as run by some people who should have the expertise to be able to tell me if I have presented the information correctly.
    • YES - I do put a lot of effort in trying to make sure that the information that I post is correct and if I find or am told that I have made an error I make the correction as quickly as possible and acknowledge the error and the person who pointed (out with thanks). I also endeavor to acknowledge those who have helped identify a plant (fungus, animal etc) or provided information or assistance.
    • Publishing completed posts
  • Going over published posts;
    •  Checking for typos and other errors
    • Reformatting them so that they are all uniform (especially the layout / presentation of botanical and other information)
    •  Checking the tags
    • Adding links and additional data
    • Adding common vernacular names in other languages
  • Adding to my Glossaries:
    • Glossary of Botanical and Horticultural terms
    • Glossary of Medical and Scientific terms
    • Which I think may be more logical to just merge into one glossary
  • Adding to the Lexicons
    • Lexicon of Scientific/Binomial Names -  Common/Vernacular Names
    • Lexicon of  Common/Vernacular Names - Scientific/Binomial Name
    • The second which I need to think about ab bit more on how to incorporate multiple language entries i.e. all in one or have a separate one for each.
  • Adding to the "Useful Links" which includes not only the hyperlinks to useful sites but also includes:
    •  A description of what kind of website it is
    • A brief overview of the type of information to be found i.e. what sorts of resources it has
    • Any other useful information about the website
  • Updating the Index
  • Visiting some more botanical gardens and places to get more photos of plants and critter. Hopefully I will finally be able to get around to contacting an apiculturist so I can get some decent Bee photos and beehive photos so I can do my long planned Bee posts.
  • I will also be looking into the possibility of providing higher resolution photos for those who want to look at them because at the moment I have sought to increase accessibility of my blog by catering to viewers who may not have access to high speed internet and may also be restricted to a monthly megabytes cap. So I will be looking into ways to accommodate both types of users. I have seen other webpages offer two types of resolution. Of course that will take a while to set up as I will then need to go back and hunt through my archives for the original high resolution files.
I also hope to be able to do some more work on some of my other blogs especially "The Blood of Souls", my blog on Etymology, language and translation issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment